Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Teusday. This morning we set out for Rocky Butte, in the VW, looking for a change of scene. It is only one or two miles from home, also close to grocery shopping I'll do later. On the way, I pull in to Kim's Market on Fremont and 73rd. The young man behind the counter directs me to the cooler, where I find bottled water. He is tall and lean, looking about the same age as my 19 year old son. With a large bottle of water to sustain us, we drive on out Fremont, taking a left on Rocky Butte Road.

Rocky Butte is a cinder cone, part of the large Boring Lava Fields upon which the city of Portland, Oregon rests. You can read more about Rocky Butte and other cinder cones and shield volcanoes of this area at, http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Oregon/BoringLavaField/VisitVolcano/rocky_butte.html. I love walking here, for the view and rest I receive at the summit of the Butte. I park the VW just past the campus of Portland Bible College. The dogs are eager to go, and Tiger practically bursts out of the car. With dogs leashed and car locked, we begin.

I quickly find that I'm over-dressed, and pull off the thick wool sweater which had kept me warm at home. Tall maples, fir, and other evergreen trees shade us as we walk. The road winds completely around the Butte. We parked on the northeast side, and as we walk south, the noise of I-84 traffic below grows louder. How lucky I am, taking this relaxed stroll on a quiet road as people rush from place to place on the freeway below. I've seen two joggers so far, and no cars. On the bank of the road above me, a carpet of Ivy leaves reflect the sunlight. Looking across the street, there is another climbing vine on the trees there, what can it be, with it's pale green bursts of seeds hanging off of tendrils?

Reaching the summit, I lead the dogs into the grandly named "Joseph Wood Hill Memorial Park." This little park, which I would guess is no more than 1/2 acre in size, surrounds the summit with stone walls topped with old fashioned lamps. It's an especially lovely place to visit at sunrise or sunset, as the lamps are glowing yellow, and the whole sky is painted with colors. You can watch the sun in it's course to or from the horizon. Red volcanic cinder dust line the pathways in the park.

Today there is haze in the air, especially to the east, and only the outline of Mt Hood is visible. I take the dogs to the north side of the park, my favorite viewpoint. The sky is clearer to the north, and the somber grey of Mt. St. Helen's flanks are clear. The Columbia river winds along in shades of green and white. Jets follow the path of the river as they ready to land at Portland Int. Airport. After a few minutes, one begins to descend slowly from the east.

After our descent back down Rocky Butte Road, and just before the dogs and I return to the car, I notice again the odd climbing vine I'd seen earlier, with it's masses of silvery green seeds. Two trees I can see are completely blanketed with this vine, and it drapes thickly between them, as well. It takes a bit of internet searching, but I finally identify this plant as "Old Man's Beard," (so named for the silvery seeds) a noxious weed of Oregon. You may read more about this pest at, http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/WEEDS/profile_oldmansbeard.shtml. Just one of these creepers may produce more than 100,000 seeds per year!